Friday, June 29, 2007

Getting Creative

So I have been waking up in the middle of the night lately thinking of how I can create some really unique fragrances. Something that makes my fragrances stand out from the others. I look at all the other Natural Perfumer's out there in awe of what they create and I wonder "what can I do to make a name for myself?".

So, I have been working on some really fun infusions. For those of you who know the basics of making perfume, you have (basically) 3 options for bases: perfumer's alcohol (in various forms), oil (either Jojoba or Fractionated Coconut) or Wax base for solid perfumes. I am not one of the lucky ones who can afford perfumer's alcohol yet so my medium is Jojoba (a liquid wax that doesn't go rancid). I just started the process of infusing some tea roses. If you have ever taken a whiff of "Tea Rose" perfume by Perfumer's Workshop you will know that it is an amazingly feminine scent. My sister is a big fan of this and inspired me to find ways to recreate this beautiful scent.

I have finally been able to use some infusions I started months ago. Blackberry Honey, Brown Sugar, Coconut are just a few things that I am playing with right now. I find that these 3 infusions mixed with some Jasmine Grandi are sweet and rich. I have been wearing this new blend trying to figure out what else they need. My goal is to come up with a Gourmand that can be worn by men and women. I think I am on to something. When I get it finished I will let you know.

Finally, I asked a friend of mine who is very new to Natural Perfumery what she would like in a custom scent. Like many of my friends, she referred to some popular synthetic scents made by Bath & Body Works and other companies. Her favorites were Spearmint, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Sandalwood and anything "clean". So here is my project for the next few weeks: I have to come up with a scent for her that contains these elements. Any mints can be a challenge and I have never taken them on. This will be fun and I hope to fully convert her to the Natural Perfume side!

I hope to add a few new scents to my line soon and maybe this will be one!

0 Comments: