Thursday, April 22, 2010

What do I do anyway?


Seems like Earth Day is becoming more like Earth Month or week which is alright by me! Whatever helps and reminds us that life and environment are fragile is a good thing. I wish I knew exactly how many things I have changed in my life once made aware of the impact we have made on Mother Earth. I can list some things I do daily now and are basically second nature: (1) I compost like crazy: Coffee grounds, paper towels, veggies, fruits, breads, etc. Anything that will go in there, I will put. I recycle paper like crazy. Sometimes it seems that my paper issues are something I must have been born with because I am constantly surrounded by and sorting through paper. I rarely pour water down a drain anymore. I usually pour left over water from a cup of tea or pasta cooking into a planter or outside. I am slightly obsessive about this particular activity. I only use organic facial, body and makeup products now (I couldn't have said this last year this time). The list goes on and on. As far as my company goes, I made the commitment a long time ago to put all the money into 2 things: the candle or perfume itself and the labels. I don't spend money on fancy gift boxes. The tops of my glass votive candles are covered with a simple recycled paper seed top. It's compostable, plantable and recyclable. I use simple handmade pillow boxes from a company in Vancouver, B.C. for my perfumes. All of my containers and packaging can be sent back to me for re-use or be re-used by the customer. My soy wax is Kosher, Free of GMO material, pesticides and herbicides. That is what I do for Mother Earth. Earth day and the idea behind it have greatly impacted how I live my life and run my business so thank you to those who brought awareness to us. Happy Earth Day everyone.

2 Comments:

Endithinks said...

Thanks for doing so many "little" things to help make the Earth more sustainable. Households are a major source of environmental damage (nearly 30% according to some estimates) so our mindfulness in our daily living is so important.

Sustainable Seattle
twitter.com/sustainseattle

Gabriel's Aunt said...

Nathan, thank you for taking the time to read. I appreciate that. Yes, the little things can make the biggest impact.